I’ve been wanting to share this for such a long time and here it is! A few years ago I bought a camera and since then I’ve been obsessed with photography and cinematography. I can spend hours on Youtube looking at how to edit photos and videos… it really is something I’m passionate about. I was so interested in the field that I self-taught myself how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, as well as other creative tools. At that time I mainly did it to create ‘Viberty’ as a brand because I had to edit everything myself so I didn’t really have much of a choice, but now it’s my hobby!
Some people have asked me how I make my pictures on instagram to look so bright and the answer is using ‘Lightroom‘. That is literally it, that’s the secret! Lightroom is an image editing software that allows you to enhance and improve your images, so its not like Photoshop where you can alter appearance, making objects etc. It’s still very tricky to get at the beginning but to make your life easier I’m going to show you step by step what you have to do.
1. Download Lightroom on your phone/device
What I love about Lightroom is that it’s available on the App store and Android! So yes, I don’t edit my pictures on my laptop and then transfer it into my phone… can you imagine? I wish I had all that time. I would say that the mobile version is more simplified than the computer version, but you can still do a lot so it’s all good.
2. Upload a picture
Next, you want to upload all the pictures that you want to edit on the Lightroom app. All my pictures on instagram (most of them anyway) are edited using this app and I will tell you why on the next step…
3. Preset settings
Now presets! What are presets? I also had no idea at the start, but they are amazing! So if you head into my instagram you will see that all my pictures have the same ‘theme’. They have the same colour overlay over each picture. Basically presets simply mean editing a photo to how exactly you want (altering exposure, brightness, detail, colour etc) and then saving those exact slider options for future use on another picture. Now you still may have no idea what I’m talking about so I’ll explain a little bit more.
- Start editing and playing around with the options; exposure, light, effects, colour, optics, detail, the options are endless. When editing keep in mind that you want those colours to fit with all of your pictures. So think about when you take a darker picture will it look the same as the previous picture? Try it. This takes the longest time but I promise it’ll be worth it.
- Once you are done with all your editing, you want to click on the ‘…’ icon on your top right corner.
- Next click ‘Create preset’ and name your preset eg. Summer Preset. Finally click on the ‘tick’ and that’s done!
- From now on for all the other pictures that you want to edit, the only thing that you have to do is click on ‘Presets’ and click on your named preset eg. ‘summer preset’. This edits the picture with the previous settings without having to alter the settings from scratch.
The reason I love this is because I just have to click one button to edit my pictures and they all fit with my instagram feed! It’s like the effects on Instagram, but this time you can create your own effect exactly the way you want to. Pretty cool huh?
That is all from me! I really hope that this was helpful and I will see you on my next post.